Thursday, July 5, 2007

Welcome Home

In my bathroom there is an octagonal wooden box from Turkey given to me by my friend John. Inside this box is a scorpion encased within a glob of glass along with a scrap of paper reading “Death Valley.”

In my bathroom there is a yellow tube of Vegemite from Australia given to me by my friend Zack. A new label has been pasted on top that reads “Sewage-flavored toothpaste.”

In my bathroom there is a purple plastic octopus named Genghis given to me by my mother that dangles from the showerhead. Genghis squeaks when you squeeze his butt.

The thing about it is that of all the cavalcade of humanity that has been in and out of that bathroom in the last six months, not a single person has asked me about any of these things.
This leads me to conclude that the average Chicagoan stores far stranger things in their bathrooms than scorpions, Vegemite, or squeaky octopi.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I give Genghis a good squeeze at least once a day!

Mooms said...

Like Alex, I squeeze Genghis every time I see him, for old times' sake. Good to see you are taking good care of him!

Mooms